Wordspinning

Monday, January 17, 2005

So now we are both famous

First I'll tell you about my famous husband. I just stayed up until past my bedtime listening to a podcast of Sam being interviewed by Garrick Van Buren (whose name I most likely just misspelled).

It was fun.

I'm famous too since I got interviewed by Weekend America on NPR (or was it MPR?) but there is no permanent record of me because I think I was just local color. They asked if I had any book to recommend what would it be. I said Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje.

This is true.

If you have not read this book, you really should.

It may be of particular interest to people given current events because it is set in Sri Lanka and follows the footsteps of a Sri Lankan-born woman who lives in Canada and has been hired by the UN to investigate possible human rights abuses by one or both sides in the long civil war.

It is not a mystery.
It is not historical fiction.
It is fascinating.

At the beginning of the book I couldn't wait to find out the answer to the puzzles she was examining. By the end of the book I didn't even care about the investigation. It took a back seat to the politics and the personal struggles going on with the characters.

Ondaatje is the master of weaving fact and fiction.

Read him.

Now.