Wordspinning

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Three unseasoned Jesus poems

Come Again

Jesus is pissed
With literalists

Insisting on a second-coming
Of the flesh

I’m here
He wants to say

But most people
Are not listening

The soul is not lost
When the body departs

How can I return
When I never left you?


Abandon

Abandon old prejudices
Empty forms
Cast off loud declarations of piety

I welcomed lepers, tax collectors, prostitutes
Why is your love so narrow now?
You could find no room for me.


Consummation

I was consumed by the fire of my message
Burning brightly for three years
Until extinguished.

Head bowed, crown of thorns
Martyrdom consumed my message
And what remained
Sin, Death, Redemption, Life Everlasting
Was all that could survive the cross

How great now is my pain
Nailed to crosses in every nation
Bleeding still from ragged wounds

Take me down from your walls
Remove my weary body from around your necks

Live in the now
Open your hearts
Love one another
As I have loved you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

beautiful, wise and brave. Are you really as young as you look in your online pictures? Such words seem like they should come from someone older.

Thanks for posting.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I just realized how patronizing and dumb that sounded. But I didn't know that you were almost as old as I am. I thought you were something like 22.

Thanks for almost loaning me your Mac, btw. Or did you even know about that?

I hope someday that we will get to meet and talk about writing. I'm interested in that because I have no friends who write fiction and I would like to understand better how that writing works.

Can you tell that I just got a new Mac and that I am insomniatic? Now I can be lying down and typing at the same time.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Kiara said...

Yeah, we're ancient. Sam and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary this year.

And we've been talking about how we really need to meet you guys.

Glad you like teh new ibook. I was perfectly willing to let you look at ours, but crunch time with my class made me somewhat possessive for the next few weeks...

6:34 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home