Wordspinning

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Poem in 5 and 7 syllables

Urusai

Single word apology

His hand an afterimage
Imprint turning red
Almost beautiful
Flowering against her cheek

Behind sliding paper doors
The sound of my host father
Beating his nine-year-old son
For doing homework
Not quite fast enough.

I am in my borrowed room
Door locked behind me
Head buried in shame
I should have spoken

Alone on the tatami
My young host sister
A hand to her face
Weeping silently

Urusai, she said
My father is loud
I apologize for him

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Beautiful poem! I'm Liz's partner and am getting my creative writing BA from Metro State. I just started last fall. I am sorry that you don't allow anonymous comments because I no longer use my blog. I have my own website at http://www.writeousness.com and have some of my writing up there, but I'm just learning...I just tried to write a sonnet and failed miserably.

11:19 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home