Wordspinning

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

MFA Reading March 24

So I'm getting all set to graduate from Hamline this spring.

I defended my thesis a few weeks ago and it went well... I think I'm graduating with honors or something like that. Assuming I get all my paperwork in order. Which I plan to do.

I'll be doing a public reading at Hamline (Giddens Leraning Center 100E) on Friday, March 24 at 7:30 pm along with three other MFA candidates.

I haven't decided exactly what to read yet. I think I need to read from both my poetry and my prose stuff since I did a separate thesis in each genre.

The prose is easy to decide-- I'm set to read the short story "Mary's Baby" that formed the basis of the novel, Shooting the Thorn Tree, and is embedded in the text.

Poetrywise I'd like to grab something from each section in the poetry manuscript, The Jigsaw People. Then I'll get some family poems, some god poems and some infertility poems. I'm not as nervous as I think I should be because I am too tired.

So I'm going to go get some shut-eye.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Hi -- Just stumbled upon your blog (I'm not even sure I could reverse engineer the past hour to figure out quite how I got here.)

Most interesting bit of serendipity, as I'm in the process of applying to the Hamline MFA in Writing program.

Kind of on the fence. I think I'd love the intensive study and writing, especially getting immediate, high-grade feedback. But I've published a few things already, short stories and poetry and such. So I'm not sure whether this is the way to go, as opposed to taking occasional workshops at the Loft, say, or treating myself to a Split Rock class every summer.

I'll try to get to your reading, though I'm heading out of town sometime that weekend for a couple of weeks.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Oops. Didn't notice the date. I'm a year late. Hope you're out there writing and publishing and that all the checks are clearing.

7:42 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home