Wordspinning

Friday, October 01, 2004

7 or 8 things I know about her/An unwanted, unauthorized biography

7 or 8 things I know about her/An unwanted, unauthorized biography

Her name is
        Carol
Something.

She lives in San Jose
And is the same age as everyone else --
Forty-nine.

She has two or three grown children
Who may all be girls

When she
        found out he
Was married
        at first
She had nothing
        to do
With him.

I would like her she’s fun they have so much in common.
Biking, skiing, hiking, taking
        “business trips” to Florida.

Someone named Richard
Found a business card.
And a love letter.
Called my mom.
Read the note.
Written from our home on Christmas Day.

She was secretly engaged for three years before this call.

She never did get married.
Or move to Minnesota.
Or meet my father’s only daughter.
I’m glad.