Wordspinning

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Memorial Service

My Grandmother passed away this last week. She was 91 years old and in hospice care. I had an amazing visit with her two weeks ago where my two children were amazingly charming for two hours in spite of having no nap and over 3 hours in the car. Blessings.

I attended the memorial service with my husband, who was a pall bearer. On the way out to Willmar I reflected on how I could have a worshipful farewell to my grandmother in the midst of a Presbyterian service, which historically has not reached me.

I did a lot of knitting in the car-- thinking of my grandma who taught me to knit when I was six. I read through the bible I had tucked in my purse. Job. Because when I was quite young my grandma told me that it was her favorite book in the bible. She thought it was beautiful. To a nonbelieving nine-year-old, Job is NOT beautiful. It's mean.

I read to find beauty in the verses and I found this passage:



Job 5:20

In famine he will redeem thee from death;
And in war from the power of the sword.

Thou shalt be hid from the scourge of the tongue;
Neither shalt thou be afraid of destruction when it cometh.

At destruction and dearth thou shalt laugh;
Neither shalt thou be afraid of the beasts of the earth.

For thou shalt be in league with the stones of the field;
And the beasts of the field shall be at peace with thee.

And thou shalt know that thy tent is in peace;
And thou shalt visit thy fold, and shalt miss nothing.

Thou shalt know also that thy seed shall be great,
And thine offspring as the grass of the earth.

Thou shalt come to thy grave in a full age,
Like as a shock of grain cometh in in its season.

Lo this, we have searched it, so it is;
Hear it, and know thou it is for thy good

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz Opp said...

Kiara,

I'm sad to read about the passing of your grandmother, but touched to read your own discovery within Job.

You are in my thoughts...

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

5:00 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home